Do you want to learn to cook like Marco Pierre White? Thinking of taking cooking classes? Or have you mastered the culinary arts to such a degree that you consider yourself an expert at gourmet cooking? What ever you current level of expertise we all have more we can learn about cooking and that’s what a culinary school is all about.
Culinary Training of any kind starts at the beginning, so if you are looking for more advanced cooking lessons, you might want to check out one of our sponsors, or wait for our culinary arts series. Lets be honest from the beginning, cooking is a tactile pursuit so there is only so much you will learn from reading this site. At some stage you will have to consider taking cooking lessons at one of the many cooking schools. However, there are a number of things we can do to help you along the way. Most cooking classes supply all the cooking equipment you need to complete the course, but it does not hurt to have the right equipment at home. So what are the the basic things you should have to hand at home?
- Knives – 12 inch Chefs knife, paring knife, bread knife, meat clever, filleting knife.
- Pans – Large non stick frying pan, solid cast iron or steel frying pan, a small, medium, and large thick bottomed saucepans, cake/bread tins.
- Spoons And Forks etc - Wooden spoons, ladles, serving spoons, slotted spoons, 2 metal tongs, fish slice, whisk (use metal in all cases unless stated).
- Chopping Boards – Heavy, thick, wooden chopping board, small fish board, (meat, vegetable boards optional).
- Electronic Scales
- Measuring Jugs And Spoons
- Heavy Roasting Trays – 3 or 4 will do. Don’t buy thin ones because they will buckle in the heat.
- Food Processor – If you can afford one. They save a lot of time.
- Rolling pin, grater, pestle and mortar, Cookie Cutters.
With this equipment in your kitchen there are not many culinary tasks you will not be able to perform. Next time we will look at some cooking terms, what they mean, and why you need them if you want to learn to cook. That’s all for now, thank you for reading Learn To Cook – Culinary School